Sunday, June 1, 2014

HPSP: Health Professions Scholarship Program (Army, Navy, Air Force scholarships)

Figure 1: 'Nuff said.
Intro
Hpsp is the health professions scholarship program from the military. You can apply for one through the army, navy or Air Force, or all of them at once, and pick from whichever branch awards you one. It pays for all tuition, fees, books, and some equipment needed while in med school. They will NOT pay for a computer though.  You also get a $20,000 signing bonus, and a $2,100 per month stipend as a student.  The bonus gets paid out in installments three installments, starting on your first month of medical school.

Years owed to army
You owe the army one year for each year of school paid, or one year for each year of residency. Whichever is greater. Then you owe a few years of inactive ready reserve, where they only call you up for work if absolutely needed. This all has to total eight years. So if you do a 5 year Ortho residency, you owe 5 years active duty, and 3 years inactive duty. 

Why I signed up/ Residency stuff
I signed up for it because med school is expensive, I want to serve America, and I don't want to deal with the cons of the civilian healthcare system (ex: you don't need to buy malpractice insurance as a military physician). With that said, it has it's cons. If they critically need more of some type of doctors, it is ultimately their decision which residency I can do. If they need you to go somewhere foreign, like Germany, Japan, or Korea, you need to go. Also, during your inactive ready reserve period, they can call you up if there is a major conflict with another country.  This is unlikely because it apparently didn't happen with the last two wars.

I also did it for the chance to travel, and do something different from the pack. I'm honestly really excited to learn more about, and become a part of the military.  Furthermore I really do love America, and I want to support the country in this way.

I want to do something with surgery or procedures. I'm thinking Ortho or EM. On that note, the military residency match is in the early Fall. So you'll know where you're going before everyone else's match day. You CAN do a civilian residency in something if they need more of it. It's kind of a gamble though, because if you don't match they have you do primary care work or something for like 3 years. I haven't really looked to to that too much though. 

It's really up to you if you are into it.  People on the internet say to do it only if you are serious about serving the USA.  I am serious and want to, but at the same time, I do not want to have $350,000 (65 for my undergrad + 4*70 for med)  of student debt at ~7% compounding interest.  Doctors don't make as much money as they used to, and tuition is only going up, while pay for doctors is going down.

Pay in the Army
The pay in the army is also based off of your rank.  Right now I'm an O-1, or 2nd Lt.  Its the lowest officer rank.  In the summer during med school, if you have enough time, you go to officer training school for about a month.  Upon graduation from med school, you are promoted to Captain, O-3.  

As a captain you'll make about $85,000, and you'll be in residency. Civilian residents make about $50,000  After residency you'll make low hundred thousands, regardless of specialty.  (I think that's correct.)  The way the army keeps super specialized docs is through huge bonuses.  Right now, if you're a Neurosurgeon, the army is offering like half a million signing bonus for I think four years, on top of your regular army pay.

If you're interested
Check out the forums about it on SDN.  They have quite a few threads on what it's like to be a military physician.  Again, there are pros and cons, and you have to personally decide if it's for you.  Also, not everyone is pro military.  My parents, girlfriend, and her family are very happy for me, but my aunt and uncle are a little uneasy about it.  My main concern was what kind of danger I would be in.  Also get in touch with a recruiter.  They have more information than what is posted here.

When to apply
I had all my stuff in in January, and got the call in February.  Applicants can apply before February without an acceptance, but after February you need an acceptance.  The scholarship will have a waitlist if you wait too long to apply.  Last year they told me the wait list began in late spring / early summer.

You can apply in your other years of med school, but it is more difficult to get accepted.  Also, don't forget how I said you owe them back then.  So it's worth it most to apply for the 4 year scholarship.

Misc.
There's also the military med school, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS).  It's in Maryland at the Walter Reed medical center.  I got an interview there but declined after my acceptance.  With them, your student stipend is like $4,500 a month.  BUT, you will owe 7 years of active duty as a doctor.  However, I think they get preference from the residency directors in the military match.

Closing
Sorry for the super long post.  I'm just really excited that I'm going to serve in the military, and be a doctor.  I'm also super excited that I don't have to worry about money, and can just worry about being a good doctor, and a good soldier.  Don't think I'm pressuring you to do it, it's all up to you.  If anyone has any comments or questions, please ask and I will be sure to respond!

2 comments:

  1. Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot. koktale

    ReplyDelete
  2. The programs address health-related issues, including the emotional, physical, mental dimensions of a person's life. 5 guys for diabetic

    ReplyDelete